Subject: Re: 512e + Dove upgrade HD problem
From: Steven M. Alper

Midi interfaces and midi programs for 6800 Macs?

They exist, but I can't give you a name off the top of my head. Any standard RS422-to-MIDI interface will do you hardware-wise, I have seen an SE being used for MIDI scoring, but I can't remember the name of the program (it was about 7 years ago 8-).

The same interface I purchased for use with my Mac Plus works with my 660AV and PB5300; the serial port set-up has changed very little (not counting the change to GeoPorts), so most modern MIDI interfaces should be fine.

As far as MIDI software goes, you're going to be more limited by RAM than by microprocessor. Don't look for digital recording, obviously. But earlier versions of most of the sequencers (Mark of the Unicorn PERFORMER, Opcode VISION) and music prep (Coda FINALE and FINALE ALLEGRO -- formerly MUSICPROSE) were originally designed to run on the Plus. I purchased my Plus to run PERFORMER and HG ENGRAVER, later upgrading ENGRAVER to FINALE. You'll have to check RAM and OS requirements first of all, then check with the software companies about microprocessor (some of the current crop require at least a co-processor).

Feel free to write me directly for more.