Subject: Re: Mac Classic II/7.5.5
From: Bill Coleman AA4LR

I am also writing to see if anyone has a good source for a video monitor for this machine. The 9 inch internal monitor has a band at the top that is stretched, and then there is extra space at the bottom of the monitor.

You may be able to fix this yourself. On the back of the Classic II, there's a small panel above the power switch that snaps out, revealing some holes for video adjustments. You need an insulated screwdriver or hexagonal adjustment tool (depending on the hole). Don't use an allen wrench! You need a plastic tool.

One of the hex adjustments is the vertical position. Your Classic II sounds like the video is adjusted to the top of the screen. You should be able to move it back into the center with a bit of tweaking.

Subject: LCIII and OS 7.5.5
From: armstrong

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this problems:

I have an LCIII, now up to 20MB memory, and an internal Quantum 240 HD. I recently upgraded to 7.5.3 and then up to 7.5.5. When I upgraded from straight 7.5 to 7.5.3, I found that the menu pulldown for 'restart' or 'shutdown' no longer work correctly. the machine performs all the normal shutdown procedures but then it 'hangs'. For restart, it does not give the usual 'CHANG' chord and then start up again. For Shutdown, it does not put up the window that says 'it is now safe to shut off your Macintosh'.

I called Apple Support and they claimed never to have heard of this. They were uncharacteristically not helpful.

Recently I installed an EZ135 which I find invaluable for machine support. If I copy my entire system folder to the EZ135 and the boot from the 135, I find that shutdown and restart work perfectly. They only do not work when I am running off the internal drive. So it feels like some sort of timing problem with the internal drive.

Shutdown and restart worked perfectly from the internal drive until I upgraded past 7.5.

Any suggestions?
bob

Subject: Hard Drives for LCII?
From: George E. Parisot

Howdy Folks,

I have an LCII which I have upgraded with the full 10 MB ram and Speedster 040 accelerator. What I need now is to find a 500MB+ hard drive that will fit the LC case.

My question is does the standard 3.5" hard drive fit in the LC? Does anyone know of a great deal on SCSI 500 MB hard drives?

Thanks in advance.

George E. Parisot

Subject: Re: Mac II random restarts
From: Clark Martin

My beloved Mac II is currently not in use because about a month ago, it began to randomly restart, just as if I had selected Restart from the Special menu (chimes and all). I'd really, really like to put this venerable machine back in use and restore my bragging rights, as I bought it new in '87 and this is the first problem I've had with it. Power supply? Ghosts? Any ideas welcomed! Would the lithium battery going dead perhaps cause this? It doesn't seem to be heat related.

I doubt it's the battery, it can cause several problems, but I don't think that is one.

Try removing the SIMMs (ground yourself to the computer when you do this), cleaning the contacts with an eraser (lightly) and reseating them. Also make sure any socketed ICs (68020, HMMU, etc) are well seated. Remove and reseat the NuBus board(s).

Hi All- I have a Mac IIfx and have been trying to get 32 Bit addressing to work and have had nothing but problems. Whenever I boot with 32 Bit addressing enabled (running System 7.5.5 with 8M on board Ram and RamDoubler[both enabled and disabled]) I get some really wacky things happening. My desktop shifts to the left and downward (i.e. Happy Mac is in the lower left hand corner of the screen) and I lose about 2" of the right hand side of my screen (it is blank) & my mouse freezes, the keyboard works normally, but I am really limited in what I can do in this situation. I have to zap the PRAM in order to get the system to operate normally (albeit back in 24 bit mode:((. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with Apple last week and they were no help at all...Does anyone have any suggestions, I would really appreciate some help, I need the extra RAM that would become available with RamDoubler with 32 bit addressing enabled, as it is I can only get 13M of RAM (in 24 bit mode) and I really need the 16M I would get with 32 bit addressing. I would appreciate any help at all, I have tried trashing my finder, general controls and desktop prefs and this has not helped me at all.

Do you have the version of Mode 32 for System 7.5. If not, it's at Apple's FTP site. If you do, have you tried disabling all the extensions you can (except, of course, Mode 32).

Good morning, Please add me to your list. At present, my son has my SE/30 at university. I have loaded it up with max RAM, and it is still a workhorse type of machine. He wants to hook it up to their Novell system, but I am having trouble tracking down a ethernet hookup that would work on a SE/30. They tell me that there are plenty of "second hand" shops that would probably have such a beast, I just need names and phone numbers.

I bought an Ethernet board for the IIsi/SE/30 from 'Use It Again MACS' for $49. sales1@useitagain.com (UseItAgain MACS) 408/257-8000

Only connection to them is having bought two network cards.

Subject: Shell for Classic II
From: Jason Pettis

I run a school lab that is 1/2 "classic" Macs and 1/2 "newer" Macs. Reciently I had a Classic II fall off a table. No electronics broke, but one of the screw holes that keeps the monitor in place broke. I need a new shell for the Classic II so I can get the Mac back to it's classroom.

I live in the Greater Denver Metro Area, so if someone can suggest a source near me, great.

If someone out here *has* a dead Classic II (or a shell) I'd be glad to make arrangement for getting it.

Please reply directly to me, not the Classic Macs list. Thank you.

Subject: Re: 10MB Ram limit on LCII
From: Bill Coleman AA4LR

I have a friend who has an LCII. He has just upgraded the memory to 12MB, but apparently he can only use 10MB of it.

This is not an addressing problem because he has turned on 32 bit addressing in the memory control panel and can address more memory by turning on virtual memory.

So it must be some sort of hardware restriction - right? But this machine has a 68030 processor with a PMMU, so is more up-to-date than the LC. Does anybody know :

a) what the reason is for this 10MB restriction, and
b) is there any way of overcoming it (cheaply).

a) the restriction is in the design of the hardware. The LC and LC II are essentially the same machine (the LC had a 68020, the LC II a 68030). The processor just can't see more than 10 MB because of the way the hardware is designed. There's no real way to overcome it.

b) LC III design fixed this restriction.

Subject: Accelerators
From: JWarms

Greetings.

I have given up trying to accelerate my LCII. I tried over and over again with the Speedster 040. At full speed, it ran fast enough, but only until the next crash. It crashed often, and when it did't crash, it froze.

(Thank you, MacMall, for having a good return policy.)

Has anyone had any good experiences with accelerators for 030 Macs?

Jon

Subject: Free (almost) Radius Pivot Interface
From: Edwin Simmers in Bellingham, WA

I have a Radius Pivot Interface for the Mac II family, Radius Model 0196.

It's never been used and still is in original box.

If someone wants to send me $25, I'll pack it carefully and mail it postpaid.

Reply directly, rather than the list, please.