CMD Home | Subscribe | Index | 1996 Index | CM Trading Post

Table of Contents for this issue:
Mother (Logic) Board Batteries
Classic
Netscape
Classic II Accelerators
Re:32-Bit Clean...etc. + Systems
Re: DayStarred Mac II, 8MB?
Mac Plus and AOL?
MacPlus
IIvx-Dmitri
Re: Mac IIfx info
RE: Can't Throw Out the Trach
RE: Classic Macs Posts
Re: IIFX
Re: Can't Throw Out the Trash
Re: IIvx - ????????
Re: Can't Throw Out the Trach
RE: Classic Posts 11.13.2
Two questions
Re: History (Was: Netscape and Mac Plus)
Re: Classic Macs Posts
Re: SE and 10baseT?

Subject: Mother (Logic) Board Batteries
From: Charles Phillips

Fellow Early Mac Folk -

This is a shameless self promotion - forgive me.

Those among us that have not yet experienced a dead logic board battery should be aware that one of these days you will notice that your Mac forgets the date when you turn it on, thinking that it is 1956. If you have a color Mac, it will start up in Black and White. It may even fail to start at all!

And worst of all - your helpful Mac tech may recommend a new motherboard, a step that could cost you hundreds of dollars.

And all because of the expiration of a $10 battery.

To combat this ever-growing scourge, as our batteries all inevitably age - I started the Web page that is given in my signature. This free web page, unfettered by ads, gives the symptoms of a dead battery, the solution (for many models), and associated hints, trivia, etc.

Feel free to tune in, and suggestions are always welcome.

BTW the proper term is Logic Board, but lots of people refer to them as Motherboards. As long as they run the MacOS - you can call them anything you want.

Charles D Phillips

Check the Macintosh motherboard battery Web page at:
http://www.academ.com/info/macintosh
(This page also links to a Totally Unofficial Panorama Page)

"I Don't Do Windows, I Have A Macintosh"

Subject: Classic
From: EL

One thing that will accelerate your Classic II is to replace the hard drive with a modern one. When I went to 170 meg external, my speed doubled over the original 40 meg drive.

Get the FPU if you run ram doubler. It appears to me to help it run trouble-free.

eric lyons
buda, texas

Subject: Netscape
From: skdunn

i used Netscape 1.1n on my SE for a year and it worked fine so i can't understand why so many people say you can't use it. you can download it from the CSU Monterey Bay webpage:

http://seal.monterey.edu/~netcom/.

does anyone know where you can get FreePPP 1.0.5?

also; is there anywhere that lists the software that was available for the 128k & the 512k?

thanks, sk dunn

Subject: Classic II Accelerators
From: FEDWARD

As the discussion recently turned to some questions about accelerators, I'd like to know if anyone has come across any kind of accelerator(s) for the Classic II? This is a 16MHz '030 across a 16bit bus. Galaxy Hardware sells an FPU for it, but that's not what I understand an accelerator to be. Is there even a cache or something out there? Thanks.

Drive7 is a superior HD formatting utility that employs an optional, efficient disk cache method which significantly increases performance (and even measures it against standard Apple HD scheme), However, I understand that Apple has licensed this code from Casablanca and may be currently offering it via the 7.5.3 HD Set-up utility, part of the recent 7.5 updaters and widely available.

Hard to justify the expense of a 3rd party accelerator for a Classic II. I owned a Plus, then a Classic and replaced it with a Classic II and lived with that through law school until I donated it to my Mother and moved to an '040 Centris and a Duo. The Classic II is really quite a solid little Mac. Additional RAM and Drive7 may be the best approach until you decide to go PowerPC.

You wrote me a prior message that I haven't gotten around to replying to, yet.

What used to be the 'Computer for the Rest of Us' has clearly become the 'Computer for the Best of Us.'

Subject: Re:32-Bit Clean...etc. + Systems
From: Andrew R Melnyk

The IIFX is a 68020 processor and RAM Doubler wont run on anything less than 68030. If you want more ram you'll have to pull some of the 1MB SIMM and replace with 4MB.

Must have been smoking something when I said that. The IIfx is an 030! Should have know, I've got 2 of 'em.

Some folks posted about where to get old systems. The useful ones 6.0x, 7.x are on the apple server. However since I go back to the first 512K Mac, (still have it as 512KE with aDove board) I thought the 128 was underpowered and hung on to my Apple II+ a little longer, I have probably most of the systems from 1.0. So if you are desperate I could dig them out and ship disk images.

Andy

Subject: Re: DayStarred Mac II, 8MB?
From: zmarc

I have a Mac II w/o the FDHD ROM upgrade. It's running a DayStar 40-MHz '030 Universal Powercache. I've tried putting 4 MB SIMM's into bank B and I get the Chimes of Death on startup.

The '030 on the DayStar board has built-in PMMU, right? This *should* work, shouldn't it? (Yes, I've got Mode32 installed but that shouldn't be a factor for startup since the Chimes of Death sound before the HD is ever accessed.) Yes, the SIMM's are (according to the vendor) the PAL SIMM's required for a Mac II. Yet it doesn't work. Howcum? TIA.

The above is basically the same setup I have (except it's the older 32mhz Daystar 040 board) and it works great. I have 20MB of RAM (4 ones and 4 fours). I'd suspect your RAM isn't really PAL RAM. Does the machine work _without_ the accelerator and/or without the extra RAM? The board shouldn't have any affect on your RAM and vice versa.

Even though the accelerator has a built-in PMMU, the socket on your Mac II motherboard is not filled. I think this causes a problem. Back when I had my old Dove Marathon 030 accelerator in this machine I had to order a special $20 "fake" PMMU chip from Connectix to put into my PMMU slot in order to enable virtual memory. The chip was not a PMMU--just a dummy chip to fill the slot. Some technical explanation I don't remember was what Connectix told me. It worked fine, though. Never removed it when I got my Daystar board and everything still works. This problem may have been specific to the Marathon board, though.