Subject: Re: MacIIvx
From: Marc Denis

To the best of my knowledge the "x" in IIvx means that there is no internal video. So consequently the IIvi does have internal video. (However, I could have the meanings reversed). So, that would mean that the IIvi and IIvx are the same machine, with the only difference being the internal video. As far as the Performa 600CD goes, I'm not sure.

Actually, the main difference between a IIvi and a IIvx is the clock speed of the CPU: 16 MHz for the IIvi vs 32 MHz for the IIvx. While the FPU was standard in the IIvx, it was optional in the IIvi. The Performa 600 was a cross between the IIvi and IIvx: 32 MHz CPU and optional FPU. All three machines have internal video and use the same VRAM arrangement (512K or 1 Mb depending on configuration). To the best of my knowledge, the IIvi was not sold in the United States while the Performa 600 was not sold in Canada.

Subject: Mac Plus as A web server
From: Jag

I have two rather cool sotries about the great Mac Plus:

I set it up to surf the web. Many of you may have already done this, here's how to do it if you're interested.

1. I used system 7.01 although theoretically you can use up to 7.5. I chose the oldest system above 7.0 because 7.0 was somewaht unstable. The only drawback to 7.01 is that the fonts go into the system folder naked, not into the fonts foler in the system folder. No biggie.

2. Download MacWeb http://galaxy.tradewave.com/EINet/MacWeb/MacWebHome.html

for your browser. It will run fine on 1.5 megs. You can turn off the graphics because the older classic Macs won't view them. you CAN however use Gif Converter to download the graphics and view them offline.

3. Download ircle for chat. GREAT program! Try http://download.com

4. Install system 7.01 after reformatting yourhard drive. I copied my entire 40 meg drive to a Zip disc (!) and loaded sys 7.01 on another Zip disc. I then attatched the Zip to the Plus and copied the system over to the virgin 40 meg drive.

5. I then dragged all my files BACK to the 40 meg drive. To make the Zip work on the Plus, just drop the Iomega extension into the extensions folder. I also used Config PPP and MacTCP.

6. Install Eudora lite for email.

7. You can also use newswatcher (try download.com again) for a great news client.

You're set to explore the web!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My other story.

you can set up any Mac from the Plus on up as a web server! For a total of $10 for Netprezence shareware, you can have your very own web server. I did it on my Centris 660av.

To see how, go to my web page

http://www.eden.com/~arena/jagshouse/jagshouseone.html

and then navigate to the link to my Centris. I have to be online wt the same time you acces it, (usually late at nite) so keep trying.

Aren't Macs amazing??

JAG

Subject: Which version of the OS is best?
From: tonytony

Typically cannot easily install greater than 7.0 w/ 7-up on an SE due to the 800k drive limitation. Does anyone know of 7.0.1 or 7.1 on 800k disks?

System 7.1 is available on 800K disks if you order it directly from Apple.

BTW, the "Tidbits" disc in the 7.1 800K set includes all of the original Mac fonts, including "San Francisco!"

Subject: Re: Toaster Games
From: Curtis Taylor

Andy Berkvam wrote:

I recently aquired a Mac SE/30. I almost immediately tried to load the most important software for any computer: GAMES! But I had some trouble because so many games require either color or a screen larger than 9" (the "Toaster" screen).

I thought that there might be a page out there listing Mac games that would work on 9" B&W; screens, but I wasn't able to find one. My question is, is anyone else out there interested in this info? If so, I might put a page like this together myself. This brings up the second question. Would people help out by sending me info about games that work on the old 9" screen?

A bunch of Hypercard games are made for the classic monitor and are in black and white.

Older Mac shareware was almost always written for the classic Mac. You can find older shareware and hypercard stacks from Macintosh User Groups like the Arizona Mac User Group http://www.amug.com/ that puts out a CD called BBS in a Box. They and many other MUGs are on the web.

Curtis Taylor