Subject: Notes on archive convention
From: zws.com System Administrator

Subject: AOL email issues
From: FrankP292
I second the recent request that the Classic Mac Digest be divided to fit under the AOL size limit for email.

Everybody: If you are having problems with email size restrictions [Silly providers!], in the meantime you can download raw text versions of the list (up-to-the-minute, pretty much) from ftp://ftp.zws.com/classicmacs. These are numbered in this scheme :

YYMMDDN.TXT

YY = year }
MM = month of the /dispatch/ timestamp, not the date when I received the posts
DD = day

N  = ordinal of posting within the day

E.g. 9611101.TXT is the first post from the 10th November, 1996. The reasons for this convention are :

(a) so that alphabetically sorting filenames also sorts the posts by date,

(b) using 8.3 filenames allows people to download things at work where sadistic employers may have only PCs, and

(c) symmetry with the way I number all my files that have to be in 8.3 format 8-)

You can also view the list in slightly more attractive HTML format at http://www.zws.com/classicmacs. I've indexed it as logically as I know how, please let me know what you think 8-) However at this time, the HTML version is a few days behind, because I only started the conversions of the entire list contents to date yesterday, when Bill gave me the go-ahead. (It's /nearly/ up to date!! Honest, it will be finished tomorrow. I'm a programmer. I'm allowed to reschedule deadlines ! And I'm VERY tired... 8-)

I notice that some codes printing on my email:
eg. "=" plus a non-printed character for carriage return
"=B3" and "=B2" bracketing a phrase (bold or italic?)
"=B9" for apostrophes

These are non-ASCII characters. When you see "=xx" it means that mailer software somewhere has translated the message so that the body can't be confused with a MIME attachment, tearline, or some other special character or string. For example "=3D" is an equals sign.

as a text file attachment. Can anyone explain how these codes get mis-translated? Is it a problem with the listserve software? or with AOL's Email Reader. I hope when the list upgrades to new listserve software,

Neither. It's an irreparable technical fault in the mind of the person who wrote the message, using characters above 127 or below 32. You should contact your local dealer for a warranty replacement, this component is not user-serviceable [wg].

Subject: Color Classic Monitor Problem
From: Rob Anderson
I've got a problem with my Color Classic's monitor, and I'm curious if My monitor often flickers with pinkish lines and occasionally turns all pinkish, leaving all the colors on the screen somehow darkened (with this

Well, the symptom is clear, if the solution is not. The red level in the picture is fluctuating. I've had a similar problem (except for me it was green level) on a Performa 5200's inbuilt monitor. I went over the board tapping and probing, and tweaked the trimpot which controlled the green level, and the problem went away, so I suspect it was a dry joint.

Can your problem disappear (or get worse) if you tap the Color Classic's case? If so, it's probably a dry joint. Not difficult to trace back and resolder all the joints till you fix it, but it's not something I would recommend as a first electronic project [g].