Subject: Re: MacII and Superdrive
From: zmarc

From: Robert Zusman, rzusman
What you need is the SWIM (Super Wozniack Integrated Machine) chip. It is not a ROM, but is custom to Apple. Apple used to charge $400 for this upgrade, and I doubt they still offer it. You might be able to find an otherwise dead logic board and remove the chip. Since Mac IIx boards are available for around $200, that might be the cheapest way to go. (I bit the bullet when the upgrade first came out and spent the $400 on my Mac II).

Are you _sure_ that's all that's needed? I thought the ROM upgrade was required too in order for the system to deal with the larger disks.

Apple has discontinued this upgrade though you can still find dealers/repair shops that have an upgrade kit or two in stock. They still charge a ridiculous $400 for it though.

--Marc