List Suggestion

Subject: 16 bit Datapath Mac Summary
From: O.J. Lougheed

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm sticking my foot in the old mouth, but I would like to explore the possibility of doing a summary of "Classic Macs" postings which are relavent to 16 bit datapath Macs - primarily the SE, LC, and LC2. (The Plus is basically a 110 volt only SE with Serial in/out impairment and minus the Expansion Slot.) I'm a recent joiner to the list, so I don't know how many gigs of archives there are. I have received the following: Classic Macs 11.18 1/2 thru Classic Macs 11.21.2. I do have some time to do this. I have used Macs since 1987 and maintained a multi-user CP/M system (8086's) before that. (Thank God - or Jobs and Woz - for Macs!)

The reason I'm willing to do perhaps such a crazy thing is because I'm working on a number of BBS's for use with schools and environmental groups around Lake Baikal in Siberia (Russia). I want to use primarily these machines for ease of transportability, use (it's a Mac right), spare parts, at least bilingual fonts with additional language capabilities, and 220 volt 50 hz compatability - AND DONATABLILITY! Who says these are obsolete?

My interests are primarily software and compatability with 68000 cpus - being the lowest common denominator, along with experiences useful to Russian kids. Anyone with experience with TeleFinder, First Class, or other GUI BBS, various Internet programs like Eudora, Gopher - Ap or Turbo, etc, as well as FidoNet, odd & small Control Panels and Extensions, ESPECIALLY ON THESE MACHINES IS INVITED TO CONTACT ME DIRECTLY or post to this list if the moderator thinks appropriate.

I own an SE with dual 800k floppies and added 40 meg Conner HD with heavy case which almost eliminates screen interplay even when on top of the floppies, but toward the back; running System 7.5 which takes up about 1700k max with AppleTalk on, leaving 2300+ to play with (heh, I used to do amazing things with 64k RAM on C/PM and Apple 2e machines - 2.3 megs!!! Heaven!!!); an Original MacII, now a backup to a Performa 600CD 8/700 with a Lapis 21" monochrome monitor and NuBus video card I got with the MacII. The 600 runs System 7.5 right at 3 Megs - have tried 12 times to upgrade to 7.5.3 with the Update 2.0 CD - something amiss - even Apple support gave up. All have the Apple Cyrillic Language Kit installed. I can still use System 6.0.8 on the SE (or MacII) with ABTOP which by replacing the System fonts gives a fully bilingual Desktop, WPing -WriteNow 2.2 or 4.0-unbeatable Search and Replace!- or MS Works 2.0e-the last great Mac software they made-for basic WPing, Spreadsheets, Databases and Graphing. My next magic trick is to modify System 7.5 to use Sistemny as default - the Chicago-like Apple Standard font for the same effect as ABTOP in System 7. Also owned a new LC which I sold to a friend.

Here is probably the wrong place to ask for donations - but I did it anyway.

Delete these last lines below and post this if you think suitable. Send me e-mail to discuss this further before sending me any archives.

Thanks,

OJ